Living Leaner with Turkey Lasagne
To roll out our first ‘Living leaner’ recipe we decided to go with one of the kids favourite evening meals, Turkey Lasagne.
I know what you are thinking.
But this, my friends, is no ordinary lasagne. This, is a turkey lasagne made with cottage cheese. So technically, and for one night only, ‘Living Leaner’ has a double entendre. You are saving yourself thousands if not millions of calories by choosing to eat a leaner meaner lasagne like this one.
Disclosure: I have no idea how many ‘less’ calories you will be eating. We just know that by using a leaner meat like turkey meat and low fat cottage cheese mixed with bechamel sauce, this recipe is lean and lovely!
To start with you need to make a bechamel sauce and a meat sauce. Once you have made this, the lasagne assembly takes just a few minutes.
- FOR THE BECHAMEL SAUCE
- A heavy bottomed pot
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- 280 ml (2 cups) milk or cream
- FOR THE MEAT SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & black pepper
- Ground turkey – 500 grams
- 3 cloves of garlic (chopped finely)
- 1 large onion (diced finely)
- 2 carrots (diced finely)
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 4 tins of chopped tomatoes
- One third a tube of tomato paste
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- Water (if needed)
- BECHAMEL SAUCE
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter over low heat in a small heavy bottomed pot.
- Add 2 tablespoons of flour into the melted butter, mixing swiftly as you do.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Cook over a low heat and keep mixing for five minutes. This helps minimize the flour taste.
- Slowly add the milk and keep mixing.
- Add a pinch of grated nutmeg.
- Continue cooking slowly until smooth and thickened.
- To make a richer creamier sauce use cream.
- To make a leaner sauce use skimmed milk and chicken stock (half and half)
- MEAT SAUCE
- Sauté the onions, garlic and carrot in the olive oil using a large heavy bottomed pot.
- Once the onions and garlic are translucent add in the ground turkey.
- Sprinkle in a decent amount of salt and black pepper.
- Add in tomatoes and tomato paste and stir well.
- Add in the spinach and basil leaves at the end.
- If it is too thick, add a little water and mix well.
For the Lasagne you will need:
1 box of lasagne (dried pasta)
2 tubs of cottage cheese
200 grams grated cheese
In a nice large casserole dish (square works best for service) start with a layer of meat suace, then add the dry pasta.
Top it with the bechamel sauce, then add cottage cheese and grated cheese.
Repeat until you have filled your casserole dish making sure to end with the bechamel sauce and cheese.
This recipe made enough to feed a family of ten. So we have extra in the freezer if you are hungry!
Here is the price breakdown:
Cottage cheese €3.10
Cheddar cheese €1.42
Ground Turkey €3.00
Tinned Tomato €1.58
Tomato paste €0.66
Ok. before you fly off the handle, because are trying to stick to feeding our family for a tenner a day for dinner, you should know that there are 4 large portions of lasagne left over and enough meat sauce to make a nice lunch some Saturday when no one feels like cooking. We did eat salad that came from our garden and also had a nice loaf of bread. Had you to buy those items you would have to tack on a few extra euros.
Give it a try. How much are you spending each week on food?
Like this post? Subscribe for free by email to get notified of new posts.
27 Comments + Add Comment
Got anything to say? Go ahead and leave a comment!
I am a native Galway girl that seems to be drawn to professions that rhyme with 'err'. Writer, Mother, Restauranteur, Wedding Planner, Dishwasher, Grass cutter, Cocktail maker. I suppose you could say I am a well rounded entrepreneur.
You can find me here
About the Chef
You can't find the Chef here.
You might as well just come visit.
He prefers face to face communication.
Buy the Book
SHE WRITES, HE COOKS, THE KIDS MAKE A HUGE MESS
- WiseMóna on How green are you? Renault Ireland Electric vehicle test drive.
- Karen McDonnell on How green are you? Renault Ireland Electric vehicle test drive.
- WiseMóna on Family fun for FREE in Galway – and a chance to win a €2,000 vacation voucher with Aviva
- Lorna Sixsmith on Family fun for FREE in Galway – and a chance to win a €2,000 vacation voucher with Aviva
- WiseMóna on Hire Us